Tuesday 3rd February 2015
How to beat the competition when selling your house
Selling your house can be a stressful and time consuming business. But there are ways you can make the sale run smoothly and, more importantly, get a head of the competition.
Your kitchen is the most important room in your house when it comes to selling your home, and it should receive special attention when preparing your house for viewing. A complete replacement kitchen would be the best way to promote the room, but if this is not possible, there are other options open to you.
- If possible replace all the white goods. This will make the kitchen look modern and up to date, and you can always take them with you when you move.
- Replace the kitchen cupboards doors, and fronts of draw. This is another way to give the impression of a new and up to date kitchen.
- Keep all work surfaces clear and clean.
- Put a bowl of fresh fruit on display every time a prospective buyer comes to view.
Paint Your Way to a sale
- A newly painted house will give your home a fresh, clean and welcoming look to your prospective buyer.
- Give your buyer a good first impression by painting your front door. A clear bright and freshly painted front door will say “welcome” to the next owner of your home.
- Paint the walls of your rooms in soft neutral colours. This will give the rooms a bright and airy feel, and will let your buyer imagine what they will do with the rooms when they move in.
Repair and Care
- Show your buyer that you care about your home. Fill in the cracks and holes in the walls. Replace cracked mirrors and worn carpets.
- Loose door knobs should be tightened up or replaced.
- Anything that looks tired and worn, such as tattered rugs or chairs that have seen better days should be removed.
- Your prospective buyer does not want to see a house that you are just trying to get rid of, but a home you are proud of and one you will be happy to pass on to the next owner.
Abolish and polish
- Clear your shelves and window sills of the ornaments and surplus vases or bowls that have been collected over the years.
- Rows of framed photographs may mean a lot to you, but will only be a distraction to your buyer. Just leave one or two unobtrusive ornaments on the shelves or sills.
- You don’t want your house to appear empty and soul less, but nor do you want to look like a souvenir shop.
- Once you have cleared the shelves, make sure they are dust free and shining.
Rub and Scrub
- Ensure every nook and cranny of your home is spotlessly clean.
- Pay special attention to the bathroom.
- Remove any stains and lime scale.
- Replace any chipped tiles.
- Make sure fresh clean towels are hanging in their correct place.
- Put air fresheners in the bath room to make sure it smells clean and fresh
The above tips are just some of the things that can be carried out to make your home stand head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to selling your home.